Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Juggernaut Method

I forgot to mention in yesterday's Good Reads one really good read: "The Juggernaut Method" by Chad Wesley Smith. It is a strength training system aimed at (advanced) intermediate level lifters that is basically 'improved' (if I dare to say it ) Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 system, that also utilize some elements of Block Periodization (only when it comes to third level of planning - loading: accumulation, intensification, realization) and most importantly AMRAP (As Much Reps As Possible) tests (in Realization week) to gauge new working max (that all percentages are based upon) compared to Wendlers +5kg for lower body and +2,5kg for upper body lifts. Something like APRE, but way better.

The Juggernaut Method gave me couple of neat tricks regarding programming of the strength training and I suggest to check this book ASAP.  The book is also available over EliteFTS.


I have been on the simple 3x5 for beginners (and broken) for about two months with erratic training frequency (sometimes 2, sometimes 3 full body sessions  a week) and now I plan switching to Upper-Lower 3x/week since I plan doing more conditioning and maybe joining MMA classes at Kaizen MMA club. Thus, I designed the following routine utilizing ideas from The Juggernaut Method.


Bench Day
Squat Day
Military Day
Front Squat Day
Clap-Push up & Jumps
Hang Clean
MB Throws
Clean / Squat Jump
Bench Press
Back Squat
Military Press
Front Squat
Pull-ups
RDL
Pull Ups (BW)
Pendlay Row
Dips / DB Bench
Lunge
Bench Press (3x5@65%)
Hip Thrust
DB Row
Shrug
Curl / YTWL
Calves
Core / Chest
Core
Core / Shoulders
Core


The lifts in yellow are main lifts that are programmed utilizing Juggernaut Method. The lifts in Blue are power/explosive lifts. Everything else is assistance done for 2-3 sets of 5-10 reps.


I am going to try this to see how it goes. I will probably tweak something as I go, so don't take this as written in stone. Anyway, is my bench press calculated utilizing Juggernaut Method. Please note that I choose 5s Wave for Upper Body and 3s Wave for lower body (when you get the book it is going to be clear what the hell am I talking about). Don't make fun of my lifts, even if they are in kg :)




Bench Press



Working Max
110



Accumulation (week 1)
6x5@77,5



Intensification (week 2)
1x2@72,5
1x2@80
4x5@85



Realization (week 3)
1x5@55
1x3@65
1x2@77,5
1x1@82,5
1x1@87,5

Reps
1xAMRAP@92,5
10



Unload (week 4)
1x5@45
1x5@55
1x5@65



Big Working Max
113
Projected Max
125
Difference
9,7%



Increment
0,5


Till next time... read the The Juggernaut Method.

No comments:

Post a Comment